Saturday, July 21, 2007

Perfect Summer Weekend


It's only Saturday night, but already I have a smile on my face because it's been such a great, low-key summer weekend (and there's still one day to go!). Starting Thursday night, Jason and I went to the Rascal Flats concert and got to see it from a box that belongs to one of his patients. Frankly, I'm normally not interested in watching a band I've never heard of before if I have to stand up the entire time and be hot, crowded, etc. However, watching almost anyone perform is way more fun when you get to eat, drink, and mingle far above the rest of the world.

On Friday, I went for an early-morning run, then took Jemma to the doctor for her six-month check-up. The stats: 13 lbs, 10 oz; 26 inches (time for the new carseat!); generally healthy except for the ringworm, which is nearly invisible now. I toted along Annie's baby book to show the doctor how I grow runty children and make sure there's nothing I need to be doing to prevent Jemma from becoming a weenie 15-lb. 1-year-old. She promised me that she's not going to freak out and do a failure-to-thrive work-up on what is clearly a normal, happy, healthy baby. Pshew! She couldn't believe that she's crawling already and sitting up so sturdily. (Neither can we. This morning, Jason went in to get her up, and she had pulled herself up to standing in her crib with her thatch of hair sticking over the top rail. Hilarious.)

Yesterday afternoon, we headed to Meijer Gardens with Chris, Sarah, the twins, Connie, Ben and Sam. We were quite the group traipsing from the fountains to the sand pit. Annie and Ben held hands and were completely adorable with each other. Chris and Sarah brought the kids back here and we did the dinner/bathtime/bedtime thing with all 4 kids. Then . . . . sweet silence (except for the occasional squall from Clara). We dragged the dining room table out on the front lawn, lit some candles, opened some wine, and ate sushi until it was completely dark and all the candles had gone out. I felt like some lucky combination of Barefoot Contessa/Giada/Michael Chiarello on the Food Network; it was a fun way to end my cooking-hiatus week!

Today: 6:30 a.m. run with Sarah around the lake, Farmer's Market, a little housecleaning and organizing, a post-lunch nap, took the girls to the pool, hung out in the front lawn and had a short visit from Andrea, David, and Isaac, . . . . now, Jason's off having a guy's night and I'm looking forward to an early bedtime and maybe a glass of wine. We've been so busy all summer that it's refreshing to enjoy an entire weekend just bopping around town and doing what we want, when we want with our little family.

No comments: