Thursday, July 12, 2007

Deep Thoughts . . .

I was thinking today about this blog - who reads it, what I write on it, what Annie and Jemma will think about it someday - and wondering how much to censor what I post. Sometimes I feel like I focus too much on the stressful, difficult, and negative aspects of being a mom (I think because it's my way of processing and dealing with the things I'm struggling with), so I'm hoping the daily recap will let me remember the really great things that happen, too.

Anyway, after much thinking (in my 7-minute drive from Schuler's this morning), I further hope that this will give adult-Annie and -Jemma a realistic glimpse of what being a mom really is: simultaneously the toughest and most rewarding job you can have. I don't want them thinking it's going to be all Dreft-smelling blankets, baking cookies together and Kodak moments. I also don't want them to think it's not worth it, because of course it totally is. When it's good, it's so good that it breaks your heart into tiny pieces, but when it's bad, it really sucks. So, grown-up Annie and Jemma: go for it! (Am I already anticipating grandchildren? Oh, no . . .)

Here's today's All Things Considered (like the NPR junkie that I am): snuck in a few rental-related phone calls this morning while Annie played in her sandbox and Jemma napped, indulged Annie by taking her to Schuler's to play with Thomas the Train and fantasize about which Groovy Girl she wants for her birthday (Trini), dashed into D&W to buy some flank steak for tonight's dinner, did lunch, naps, took Annie to Meijer Gardens while Kelly watched Jemma, cooked dinner, watched Jemma down entire containers of pears and sweet potatoes, bathtime, bedtime, baked cookies, cleaned the living room and laid my new rug (whee!). Whew!

Annie comment of the day:

While outside playing with her sandbox, she started dancing around like she had to pee. Getting her to go inside and do it took about 10 minutes and about 30 re-runs of the same conversation -
Me: "Let's go inside."
Annie: "Why?"
Me: "So you can go potty"
Annie: "Why?"
etc. . . .

Then, as we were finally at the back door and getting ready to go in, she stopped talking/humming/making constant noise for one second, paused, and said with a smile, "I'm being ridiculous!"

Well said.

No comments: