Friday, July 13, 2007

My Little Reader

As I have always hoped, I think I am raising another reading nerd. Annie has pretty much always loved books, but now she is starting to "read" them to us instead of vice versa. Jason's parents are here tonight, so they got to witness the bedtime story before heading off to watch Jason's "gig." Annie was so smug and adorable, all tucked into bed with her doop, holding "Blue Shirt, Green Shirt" by Sandra Boynton. She would read a page, then laugh at herself, then read the next. Then, at the end, she clapped for herself.

Earlier tonight, we had a small crisis at the restaurant. Jason took her to go potty, not noticing that the toilets had automatic flush sensors. (Annie is completely terrified of most loud noises, most especially the car wash and public toilets.) Sure enough, she's sitting there, peeing, when suddenly a huge, loud "Whoosh!" flush comes from beneath her. Then, it happened two more times before Jason could get her out of the stall. She walked back to the table, bawling, and was unable to finish her pizza until I gave her a special sticker I had stashed in the diaper bag for just such emergencies. Poor little thing.

Jemma can now push herself up to sitting from lying down and then sit by herself for a long time, either playing with a toy in front of her or, more commonly, puking a little bit on the floor and then banging her hand into it. Lots of looking around to see what Annie's doing; lots of giggling. I love my girls!

No comments: