Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Daddy's Little Girls


For some reason, the girls are really into their daddy right now. Maybe because he's such an all-around great dad; maybe because he usually gives them whatever they ask for . . . at any rate, they're awfully lucky to have him.

This afternoon, we headed to Jason's office to meet him for a family dinner in bustling Grandville. Annie is usually in her element there because all the hygenists and office staff make a big deal out of her clothes, her shoes, her hair, etc. Today, for the first time, she had some competition from Jemma, who was smiling and swinging her arms at everyone while batting her big, blue eyes. Annie ramped it up a little:

"Want to see my toenails?"
No response, lots of looking at/talking to Jemma.

"I have purple toenail polish!"
A few acknowledgments, but still lots of attention for Jemma.

Big breath. "I have purple toenail polish and Miss Heidi and Jonathan came over for lunch today after storytime and I ate his puffs and I'm two and my birthday is in September and I'll be three and then I'll go to school and get so, so big and I went potty on the potty at the garden center and we went to the bank and Mommy had to stop the car really fast so she wouldn't bonk into the truck in front of us!!!!! . . . . "

Thank goodness Daddy got done checking patients then so she could have someone's full attention. Jemma looked all around and started grinning when she heard his voice coming down the hall! We had a yummy (if somewhat rushed) dinner at some Mexican place I don't even know the name of. Jemma required going home and immediately to bed, but we threw Annie's carseat into Jason's car and the two of them went off for a little quality time together at the mall. They rode the merry-go-round and got a strawberry cupcake with pink frosting (and I wonder why she loves her daddy so much . . .).

Sometimes I start to wish away the time, thinking that life/motherhood will eventually get easier or less demanding, but today made me realize that it's such a blessing to be able to do small, spontaneous things like this with all of us. Someday we'll be scheduling around sports practice, homework, boyfriends, and everything else; time like this won't be so easy to come by. So tonight I'm grateful that I was able to have a fun little dinner with my fun little family, and grateful to Jason for being the grown-up across that dinner table who keeps all his girls so happy.

No comments: