Monday, July 30, 2007

Jemma's Big Day


Yesterday was a big day for Jemma. First, she ate a puff all by herself! It wasn't so much a classic "pincer" grip that propelled it into her mouth; more like a combination of intense staring, grunting, concentration, and putting her whole fist into her mouth, then releasing the single, soggy puff. But, still, good job, Jemma. We're on our way to self-feeding, which will hopefully make my life much easier.

Later in the afternoon, she also had her first positive experience with outdoor water. While she's always loved her nightly baths, she's cried immediately every time we've so much as dipped her toes into an outdoor pool, lake, or sprinkler. Yesterday, though, she was suddenly crawling right on in to Annie's sprinkler pool, sitting happily in the inch-deep freezing cold water, licking a little spurt as it came out the pool wall, and generally soaking through two diapers and two onesies.

All her "firsts" must have made her tired, because she slept last night from 6:30 until almost 8:00 this morning and then took three unpredictable naps today. During one of those naps, Annie and I were out front, playing (again!) in the sprinkler pool. She was making a stack of these inflatable stars that came with her pool and had arranged them in order from biggest to smallest. When finished, she stepped back, admired her tower, and announced, "I'm very, very pleased with it." Hmmmm . . .

I'm very, very pleased that both girls are in bed at the end of another gorgeous day and I can snatch a few minutes to read my current book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. After Jemma's random napping and the many things Annie needed to do today (Go for a run! Ride tricycle to Jersey Junction! Play in sprinkler pool! Draw all over driveway with sidewalk chalk! Play with sandbox!), it's one of those days where I never put on make-up and can't exactly remember if I even brushed my teeth. (I'm sure my neighbors are beginning to wonder about me - is she letting herself go right before our eyes? On the upside, when I do actually blow-dry my hair and wear make-up, I'm practically stunning in comparison with my usual self . . .) So tired, always so tired. Will this ever change?

No comments: