Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Was a Good Mom Before I Had Kids


This is the hilarious title of a book Connie and I were browsing today at Schuler's during our precious, miraculous concurrent-babysitter hour of talking and magazine-browsing. (We might as well start direct-depositing one of Jason's checks every month to Kelly's account. It is the best money I ever spent.)

Anyway, in the book, some signs that your life was out of your control included lying to friends about how much babysitting help you were getting (see above; substitute "Mom" for "friends" and this is true in my life); fantasizing about browsing the aisles of Target alone as a way to spend your free time (do this on a weekly basis); and watching the clock in the afternoon, ready to pour a glass of wine at 5:00 sharp (Jason and I have been having a drink with dinner quite frequently). Connie bought the book, so I'm looking forward to reading about how I should get control of my life back at some point.

Overall, though, today was a marked improvement over yesterday. Annie was happy and chatty, Jemma took her first decent nap in a week, and I had energy to cook an actual meal (loving Martha Stewart Everyday Food! Pasta with Shrimp and Two-Tomato Sauce!), take the girls to the library, do dishes, and possibly catch up on the laundry for one day.

Jemma is so determined to crawl that she is really navigating across the floor now to get whatever she wants. We're going to have to complete the much-procrastinated baby-proofing project this weekend. She's smiling at strangers everwhere we go and had her hair in a top-ponytail today, looking so much more personish than babyish. I can't believe she is eating baby food, sitting up by herself, and giggling at Annie - she's so big! She'll be one before I know it.

I'm off to pay bills and anticipate what looks like a fantastic thunderstorm coming our way.

No comments: