Monday, August 13, 2007

Summer's Last Hurrah


We've returned from our last little mini-vacation of the summer, and I'm a little sad about that. I know it's only mid-August, but, really, we've already posted two football schedules on our fridge and penciled Annie's fall schedule into the calendar (Monday/Wednesday preschool and Twinkle Toes I on Thursday mornings!). I just got back from a run at 9:23 and it was almost totally dark. All things considered, it's almost fall, so the summer fun we had this weekend was much-treasured.


The car rides were actually pretty tolerable, with the worst moment being a Jemma "spell" that lasted for about 20 minutes on the way up. On our way home last night, we tempted fate and left at 7:00, hoping for the best; they slept the whole way! While actually in Petoskey, we spent lots of time on the boat and just hanging around Bampa and Grammy's house. The weather was perfect for swimming! Post-boat, the girls spent lots of time in their diapers/underwear, eating corn on the cob and laughing across the table at one another. The best meal of the weekend was, of course, brunch at Bay View - my personal favorite brunch in the whole world an a must-do each summer. So glad we squeezed it in. Jemma sat prettily in her high-chair, eating crackers, pineapple, and cantaloupe while Annie was thrilled with her giant waffle with cherries and whipped cream.


Getting home late last night gave us all day today to extend our little vacation. In between throwing loads of laundry into the washing machine and unpacking here and there, we had a really fun day. We took a post-breakfast walk, then packed up and went to the pool for lunch, came home for naps, and ran through the sprinkler with neighbors this afternoon. For dinner, we had a picnic down by the lake and went to Jersey Junction afterwards. (If only Annie could remember all the fun we packed into this one day and let us off the hook for "going somewhere" for the rest of the week.) Even though not much gets accomplished, I do love days like this when Jason's home and the weather is perfect and I feel so lucky to live when and where I do. Today, I was good at "living in the moment" (because, today, the moment didn't suck).

1 comment:

Megz said...

Hey Steph!
I've been lurking on your blog, too! It is addicting, isn't it?
Enjoying your posts and fluff (pics), too...your fam is just gorgeous, I tell you.
Glad the vacation was such a success. I really feel your sentiment on the "end of summer" feeling...been kinda melancholy about it myself these days, too.
Hope to see you soon!

M:)