Monday, November 5, 2007

An Open Letter to Annie's Preschool

Dear Annie's Preschool,

When I arrived to pick Annie up today at 11:09 a.m., you were just bringing her class out to the playground. This only allows her six minutes to burn off all her available energy for the morning. I'm sure you did all sorts of fun, indoor projects in the preceeding two hours, but this does not help me.

See, I'm not paying $109 per month for Annie to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" or fingerpaint; we can do that at home. What I'm looking for here is time for Annie to have fun without me, and for her to be tired out when I bring her home for lunch. Maybe if she were tired when I brought her home for lunch, I wouldn't have had to spend my time from 1:00 - 2:00 today holding her bedroom door shut because she refused to even stay in her room for her quiet time. And then, maybe if she had rested and/or slept from 1:00 - 2:00 today, we could have avoided the grocery store meltdown that occurred when I didn't let my overtired, overstimulated 3-year-old smell each and every packet of gum in the checkout lane. We might also have skipped the 47,000 time-outs that occurred from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. As Sarah would say, I'm just sayin'.

So, from now on, if you want to have them out on the playground for a whole hour, I won't complain about the lack of cute artwork for our bulletin board. If it's a very nice day, just go ahead and keep her out there for the entire time. Really. Because six minutes just isn't enough.

3 comments:

Gina said...

I feel your pain. Afternoons are tough. I never though leaving my child to tutor precalc would be a highlight of my day, but, sadly, it is. I'm also thinking I need to move to GR before preschool to take advantage of $109/month preschool rates. The one we're looking at is $360/month, 2 mornings a week--yuck!

Sarah said...

ha ha....I just can't believe you held the door for so long. You are committed!!

Megz said...

Does this mean you're joining the "no longer wanting to show my face at the grocery" club???
Sniffing the packs of gum...that is SO great.
I greatly understand your gripe...Bright Beginnings was offering free vision/hearing screening yesterday, so B and I spent 45 minutes of the playtime trying to accomplish THAT small feat. I wanted more playtime!!!