Saturday, November 3, 2007

Daylight Savings Time . . .

always makes me very, deeply depressed. And it starts tonight. I hate thinking about how, tomorrow night, it's going to be dark at 6:00. Thus begins 4-5 months of me attempting to hurl myself straight from the dinner table into my bed: no phone calls, no exercising, no housework in the evenings. My body wants to shut down. Must stock up on books and carbohydrates.

Also, I highly doubt that Jemma is going to magically reprogram her sleeping rhythms in one day, so I expect she'll wake up early tomorrow morning. Also Monday morning, and then she'll want to go down for her morning nap before I take Annie to school, which obviously isn't a possibility. The week should be interesting, sleep-wise.

Bright spots in the day today included Michigan beating Michigan State (so at least Jason will be happy and not marching around the house shaking his head despondently), eating chili and pumpkin pie during the game with Chris, Sarah, and twins, and watching Isabelle and Payton eat their cupcakes at their first birthday party. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that Jemma will be doing that in only two months! She is hardly my baby anymore; she wore pigtails today, and they looked kind of long! Plus, she has learned the sign for "all done," and claps her hands when she likes something that happens.

Girls' night out at Naya last night . . . I had the best martini(s!) - some sort of irresistible mixture of espresso-flavored vodka, Godiva chocolate liqueur, and creme de cacao - and a great time laughing with the girls. We mostly entertained ourselves by speculating on which yummy mummy patrons had had plastic surgery, fantasizing about our next Somerset/Birch Run shopping expedition, and eating goat cheese and olives. Lots of olives.

Annie just barged in, straight from her shower and wrapped in a big towel. "I'm a shepherd," she announced, then threw off the towel and asked, "Want to see how tall I am?" Stood proudly, naked, in front of me, and then said solemly, "I'm almost a grown-up." We're letting her stay up late in hopes of adjusting her to the Daylight Savings and she's pleased as punch. When she finished playing her new Memory game with Jason earlier, she realized it was 8:00 and had to marvel at being up "so so late."

My goal was to bed in bed by 8:30 tonight, so I have 12 minutes to get downstairs and ready for the sleeping. I'm really, really craving the sleeping.

1 comment:

Megz said...

I've been wanting to try Naya for a while now...so fun to read about the yummy drinks and food!
Glad you had such a ball with your friends--you deserved it!!!