Monday, November 12, 2007

"I'm Not Crazy About . . .

________." Fill in the blank here with any number of words (that face, pork, you being in my room, hearts, gum, that song), and you'll have a good idea of what it sounds like at our house lately now that Annie puts most things into two categories: things she loves really much, and things she isn't crazy about. It's pretty damn funny to hear it coming out of her mouth, and I'm glad that at least she hasn't picked up the "I hate . . ." or "______ sucks" that I remember my own mom veto-ing in my youth.

In other news, Jason arrived home last night around 7:15 to a joyous Annie. (I was pretty joyous, too. Seriously, I don't know how people do it when their spouses travel a lot for work. Clearly, I am a wimp.) There were a lot of questions about Florida and a very contented Daddy/Annie game of Disney Memory (leading to the "I'm not crazy about you being in my room" when I tried to go in and join. Apparently, Annie and I had had enough of one another for those four days.). In spite of a few extended meltdowns, Annie and Jemma did so well in his absence. I learned a few things about myself during the short absence, too:

-Being on my own made me be more organized than I am when Jason's around. At night, for example, I set out everything for breakfast, put the coffee in the coffee-maker, and packed the diaper bag for whatever activity we had planned the next morning.

-If Jason weren't here, with his love of meat-and-potatoes dinners, I'd be less motivated to cook decent food. When it's just me and the girls, it's much easier to just feed them random things from the pantry that require minimal preparation. It's shameful, really . . . I'll just say the words "Mini Nilla Wafers" and we'll not speak of it again. Tonight, thankfully, I got back on track with pork chops, stuffing, salad, and applesauce.

-I love sleeping in the bed all by myself! Perhaps it's time for a king-size mattress . . .

-I'm so lucky to (normally) have a husband who's so present for our family time. This morning, Jason didn't have to be to the office until 11:30 for a post-conference meeting, so our whole family had a jammie dance party to the new Allison Krauss/Robert Plant album, complete with maracas for the kids and coffee for the grown-ups. (Jemma with a maraca is hilarious!) I love all the time we have to enjoy the girls and just be silly together.

1 comment:

Megz said...

That dinner...complete with stuffing and applesauce...sounded delish! You can come inject some of that wholesomeness over here anytime!:)
I know exactly what you mean about feeling more on top of things when the man's out of town...I do the coffee in the coffee maker the night before, too! It took me a long time to get to where I was desperate enough to do that (hangover from my Kava House days...just not as fresh, I feel), but WOW it's nice to have it brewed and ready before you even get those nightime diapers changed.:)