Wednesday, April 9, 2008

White Trash Date Night

Taking advantage of this week's 8-5 work schedule at the office, Jason and I had a spontaneous little date night last night after he got out of work. He met me at the Beltline Bar, which, sadly, has sort of become our "go-to" place for a dinner out when we don't want to spend $80. I say sadly because, as authentic Mexican food goes, it's an institution, but it isn't really REAL Mexican food. (At least, not the deep-fried shredded beef tacos that we love . . . )

I digress. We met at the bar, ordered margaritas (which are really worth the $8.95 because they are full of good tequila), took two sips, and immediately became drunk. We also became the beneficiaries of an Oberon promotion that was going on. I declined the offer of a free beer from the rep (since adding that to my potent margarita would have been teetering on the brink of drunk driving), but I did get a lovely t-shirt. It's orange, and it says, right across the boobs, "Quit staring and buy me an Oberon." Presumably, the wearer of this shirt would have something impressive going on in the boob area. I should probably not wear this t-shirt; it would be confusing.

We then enjoyed a huge, satisfyingly-high-in-fat-and-calories dinner, actually got to catch up with each other without being interrupted, and paused occasionally so Jason could fully appreciate the fact that the Beltline Bar always plays the 80's Channel on their satellite radio.

We got home just in time to put Annie to bed for the night (Jemma was already happily sleeping) and then discovered, to our glee, that a Rock of Love 2 episode that we missed last week was being re-run. I confess here that I need to add this show to the list of TV shows I should never, ever admit to watching but deeply love anyway (also on this list is the O.C., may it rest in peace). In spite of the extreme trashiness of the show and all the women on it, I have somehow come to admire and respect Bret Michaels as a funny, intelligent person. I think it's because he used the words "conundrum" and "enigma" in the same episode. Good vocabulary. So we watched it, happily, and went to bed, full of Mexican food and tequila, plus some Marie Catrib's chocolate pudding for dessert.

Thus ended our white trash date night. We were very happy.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

We all have a little WT in us, right? :)

Megz said...

Oh...no words to describe how much I relate to this post.
Suffice it to say, growing up in GRaggs means you place incredible value on The Beltline Bar...for all of its fabulous food, drink, decorum (or lack thereof)...and overall cheese.
Bring it.