Monday, April 21, 2008

Thoughts While Running

It was the perfect night for a run. A sample of some of my thoughts while on my circuit around the lake:

-How's Heather? How was Wyatt's birthday? I'm sure there are some good stories involving her mother-in-law. Heather, please share.

-How's Andrea? Has she found out the sex of the new baby yet?

-Everyone in the country needs to read "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama. Okay, I am just finished with the first chapter, but it's that good. And I think (although maybe I'm naively optimistic here) that people would like it regardless of political affiliation. Anyone else out there read it and agree?

-We have new neighbors (in Miss Louise's old house) and they seem great. Very laid-back, low-key, and friendly, with a three-year-old son to throw into the mix of friends on the street. It's strange (in a good way) to look out the kitchen window while doing dishes and see actual people living in that house, playing in that driveway. Hopefully Annie can keep the knock-down, drag-out time-out temper tantrums to a minimum this summer . . .

-Four days with my parents was just the right amount of time. Any longer might have driven me crazy, since their main topics of conversation in Florida include: gas prices, road names and locations, traffic and weather conditions, food they have eaten or are going to eat, what the birds are doing, what the tides are doing, e-mails they've received.

-The amazingly warm weather is . . . amazing. It's so great to be able to wander outside post-naps and have the girls be happy and entertained for 2 hours or more. However, I may never manage to cook dinner again. I keep stumbling into the house at 5:08 p.m., dragging two dirty children, to survey the kitchen and think, Hmmmm, what will I make for dinner? I need ideas for meals that I can make ahead during naptime and then quickly whip out at 5:15 to keep the family happy. Anyone?

No comments: