Friday, April 25, 2008

The Rash

Jemma is scheduled to see the doctor this afternoon at 3:10, because I really didn't think I could make it through the weekend with her like this without knowing if something is Really Wrong or just A Little Wrong. See, she broke out in a head-to-toe rash on Tuesday. When she had her shots last week, the nurse told me (post-shots, when I was holding a screaming child and trying to placate her traumatized older sister) that it would be totally normal for her to develop a rash 7-10 days after these shots since one of them was varicella, or the chicken pox vaccine. One week later, said rash appears, and I'm not too worried. On Wednesday, the rash was worse, but she wasn't scratching it at all, so I tried to be a normal mom and remain calm. Yesterday, she looked like she had the measels, stopped eating things she normally eats, and wouldn't let me set her down for a second. I called the pediatrician, where a very nice nurse told me it might be:

a reaction to her MMR shot
a reaction to the varicella
a reaction to the amoxicillin, which she's been on for over a week due to the ear infection

Nothing to be done about any of that, apparently. I was somewhat reassured . . . and then, last night, she was up 4 times, each time more upset than the last. All I could do was rock her and hold her and try to settle her back down so she could get some sleep. Today, she is trying to rip off her clothes and whimpering into our shoulders 99% of the time. So, off we go, probably to be told that there's nothing to be done. Poor Jemma. I just want to make her feel better so she can go back to being her happy, stinker self.

No comments: