Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Car Talk

For some reason that I absolutely cannot fathom, Annie asked me today, "Mommy, why are you driving the car all by yourself without Daddy?"

Ummmmm . . . what??? Has she been asleep each and every day of the last three years when I've been driving her around? Do we live in a militant Islamic nation where women don't drive cars? Do I seem like I need assistance driving the car?

Also in the car today:

"Mommy, someday when I get so so big and get a grown-up, I can drive the car and you can sit in my carseat."

"Mommy, is this the Beltline? Why are you turning around??? (doing the Michigan turn) I don't like to drive on the Beltline."

"Now, go so so fast! Because there aren't a lot of houses around."

"Why does that sign say Road Closed? What are they doing on that road? What kind of diggers are they using on that road? Why can't we go down that road? . . . "

Ahhh, the days of my one-hour metro-Detroit commute each way are starting to look, in retrospect, relaxing. I had my coffee, I had my NPR, and I could be alone with my thoughts. Those days, clearly, are gone.

No comments: