Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Storm Before the Calm

Today was a much, much better day with Annie. We had Twinkle Toes this morning, which she mostly participated in when not sitting randomly on a bench, playing with a mystery hairbrush or digging casually through a bin of used dance shoes. Then Miss Kelly came and entertained while I went to the gym and Target by myself - a much-needed break. After naps, we dressed up, danced, read books in Jemma's room, and ordered pizza for dinner. But while it's all still fresh in my mind, a few choice quotes from yesterday's meltdowns (and my attempts to turn it all around):

"You're not being NICE to me!" - while at the gym, trying to make her stand up to zip her coat up before heading out into the 7-degree weather.

"I don't mind if you take my Dinah away." - while I told her that her beloved Dinah would be the next to go if she didn't start making better choices.

"Well, I won't be sad about that. I'll just stay home . . . and play . . . and sing . . ." - when I told her that she wouldn't be going to the pool again if she couldn't behave when we were there.

"You can take my books away, too, Mom." - calmly, while I was furiously taking all her favorite stuff out of her room and stashing it upstairs, to be earned back today by good behavior.

"Mom, you need to be patient with me, okay?" - while I was asking her for the second or third time to come to the dinner table.

"You're kind of wearing me out."

Good grief. All I have to say is, usually, before leaving the girls for any extended length of time, I'm all full of angst and guilt and anxiety: they'll need me, and I won't be there; they'll miss me and feel abandoned; no one else can possibly take good enough care of them and/or anticipate every single thing that might happen . . . . etc, etc. The last few days have put a quick stop to that. I need a break, the girls need a break, and I will be leaving on Sunday with the clear conscience of someone who knows that she'll come back a better, happier, more patient mommy for having been away without the kids for a few precious days.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

ha ha...those are CLASSICS! Fire up for your big trip!

Megz said...

So happy you're getting some time away! It's completely necessary...I firmly believe that. Even if we only get an overnight, Brian and I always benefit from it in the long run.

Hear you on the behavior lately...B and Annie are at different stages, but holy shit. I relate to that feeling of wanting to cry b/c they're so awful...and then feeling horrible when you see their perfect faces sleeping away in bed...

Here's to parenting.:)