Monday, January 14, 2008

Quotie-Quotie

For as long as I can remember, I've been pretty into quotes - reading them, collecting them, using them to begin a paper, sending them in cards to people I love. This is something that I have been mocked for (rightly) by those close to me, and it is now referred to in my circle of friends as just "quotie-quotie." I mean, I used to cut out little paragraphs from the Reader's Digest and paste them together into little inspirational collages that I'd hang on my locker, in my bedroom, in my dorm room, etc. It's embarrassing, I know.

In the interest of being a grown-up with an appropriately-decorated home, I've curtailed it since graduating from college, but I'm still drawn to pondering the wisdom of little nuggets when I see them. Today (you knew this was coming) I snuck to Starbucks (it didn't count because I paid for it with quarters from our change jar!) after dropping Annie off at school. You know how they have little sayings on their cups? Here's mine:

"You can learn a lot more from listening than you can from talking. Find someone with whom you don't agree in the slightest and ask them to explain themselves at length. Then take a seat, shut your mouth, and don't argue back. It's physically impossible to listen with your mouth open."

Please, no mockery about how I saved my PLG Starbucks hazlenut latte cup and toted it upstairs 12 hours later to write about it . . . I like this for two specific reasons. One, I am a horrible interrupter. It's not that I don't care about what the other person is saying; it's that I do care, I want them to know I care, and I'm afraid that I'll forget what I wanted to respond to them if I wait one second longer. I have no memory. Regardless, it's a terrible habit, and one that I need to be reminded to work on breaking. Two, I want to post this everywhere that political news is being posted this year, most especially in my own home and the homes of my closest family members who fit the profile of "someone with whom you don't agree in the slightest." I think we can all use a reminder that everyone has a reason for thinking the way that they do. Disagree passionately, if you must, but don't negate the worth and wisdom of the person on the other side of the issue by refusing to hear what they have to say.

I'm off my soapbox, now, and back downstairs to do the dishes. Jason and I are having a week of lovely, late, adult dinners due to a recent family-meal-related breakdown that I sort of posted about here. Thanks for letting me vent, Meg!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that you brought the plg latte cup upstairs for inspiration! Feel free to get all "quotie, quotie" on me anytime-I love them too. :)

Gina said...

Ah, back to the quotie-quoties again, are we? Though I will say, I should take the advice of Starbucks on this one. I'm terrible at hearing opinions of others.

As for dinners, good work eating with just your spouse! Lance and I may need to try this, however, I am starving well before Rowan is in bed. She, like your girls, hates all things meat and will turn up her nose at the steak, baked potatoes and salad on the menu tonight. So, we will eat a real meal while she eats whatever I randomly pull out of the fridge.

Megz said...

Loved the quote! And I much agree with its sentiments.

Also loved your impromptu post on my blog! Resonated oh-so-well with me, as you might imagine! B is also on a Jennie-O turkey sausage strike. Served 'em up this morning and he completely balked at them. Usually LOVES them so much I have to buy two cartons at a time! Jonny still rocks out on em...so that's good, I guess.
Anyway, my condolonces to you on the death of certain nutritious faves...they shall rise again, good buddy. I have faith.