Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lazy Sunday Morning

We spent all day yesterday hosting two sets of friends, one for lunch and the horrid Michigan game, the other couple for dinner after the girls went to bed. The great thing about hanging out with our friends who don't have their own children is that we get to talk about all sorts of other, interesting things and get out of parent mode for a little bit. The not-as-great thing about it is that, because they don't have kids, they want to do things like just watch football on the couch all afternoon or stay at our house until 11:30 p.m. because nobody is going to wake them up at 6:30 a.m. the next morning.

So I'm a little exhausted, I have a sink full of dirty dishes, and Annie did wake me up at 6:30 this morning. That's when I made the executive decision that we'd be skipping church today. Instead, I bundled us up (Jason and Jemma were still sleeping) and took her to the coffee shop because we're out of espresso. On the way there, I looked back and saw her staring dreamily out the window with a little half-smile on her face.

"What are you smiling about?" I asked.

"I was just thinking . . . when we get home, I'll drink my vanilla milk and then I'll play wedding girl with Daddy and then I'll give him a big kiss when we get married."

"So you were just thinking about how much you love Daddy?"

She smiled. "Yeah."

"He's a pretty great Daddy," I said."

She smiled again. "Yeah." Pause. "Except when he goes to Costco!"

No comments: