Sunday, August 10, 2008

Watching the Olympics

If you ever want to answer a lot of questions, watch the Olympics with an almost-four-year-old. Annie and I caught some men's swimming yesterday afternoon, plus some of the opening ceremonies highlights that were being rebroadcast. Tonight, the whole family watched synchronized diving and women's gymnastics, both of which were a total hit with Annie. She was unable to sit on the couch and watch with the rest of us. Instead, she stood, hands clasped in front of her stomach, shoulders back to watch each move. When the dive or routine was over, she did her own imitation involving spinning and handstanding on the living room floor. After each dive, Jemma turned to me, nodded her head vigorously, and asked, "More? More?"

So if I'm not posting regularly these next few days, I'm either: 1. Watching the Olympics (and by watching, I mean covering my face with my hands and peeking through my fingers, especially if it's diving or gymnastics) or 2. Researching the answers to questions such as, "Why do those divers take a shower after every single dive?," "How do the girl swimmers put all their hair into those hats?," "Why do people blow a horn to cheer for the swimmers?," "Why do those girls put chalk on their hands before they do a cartwheel?," and "Why is that boy the fastest one?"(Michael Phelps). Google, don't fail me now . . .

No comments: