Friday, August 15, 2008

Bookworm

I was doing dishes yesterday morning (have I mentioned how much I hate hate HATE our dishwasher and how tired I am of doing 90% of our dishes by hand?) when Jemma came into the kitchen to climb my legs. "Jemma, go get a book!" I said, just on the off-chance that she might be distracted by that, or any other thing, for long enough for me to finish. And what did she do but march straight to her room and come back with "Curious George and the Bunny," plop down on the kitchen floor, and start paging through. She got stalled at the part where George, having let the baby bunny run away, sits sadly in the grass; "Uh-oh," she said, over and over, pointing to George's sad face. "All gone. Uh-oh." But she finally made it to the end of the book, closed it triumphantly, and said, "Okay!" before running off to get another one. By the time I was done with the dishes, she had made her way through "Good Dog, Carl," "Go, Dog, Go!," "The Big Red Barn," and "Five Little Monkeys." I was happy to have the dishes done, but I was even more glad to see her, really for the first time, choose to spend time with books. It's one of my few, specific hopes for my children - that they enjoy reading, that they see how it can transport them to new places and teach them so many things.

Speaking of books, I am in desperate need of a few good ones. The last two I had from the library were terrible in a "how-could-this-have-been-published?" kind of way; I actually returned them without finishing them, which is a rarity for me. I ask a lot of a book. Good writing is just as important to me as a good plot. I've already read my book club's next-month's selection, and nothing much at the library appealed. So, I ask you, many readers: What should I be reading during these dog days of summer? Anything you've loved, recently or long-ago? Send suggestions my way, please!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Here are some books I've loved: Snowflower and the Secret Fan, The Thirteenth Tale, Water for Elephants and The Book Thief. All were wonderful. Right now I'm reading She Got Up Off the Couch, kind of a follow-up to A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. I'll give it to you when I'm done. I have some other good ones here that I'll bring you next time I see you.

Anonymous said...

hi there, knowing nothing about you yet except your guest post at SAJ (which was beautiful) and this one ... I'll add a few of my favorites.
Mister God this is Anna, by Fynn (older, can be hard to find, amazing in every way)
These Lovely Bones, by I can't remember
Anything Christopher Moore if you want to be transported to the land of the bizarre
My Antonia
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (not a novel, but incredibly thought-provoking and life changing for me)
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
A pretty eclectic set, maybe one might tickle your fancy.
I have a 6-year-old who LOVES to read and it's such a delight. I actually have to haul him away from his books sometimes to make him go outside ... I remember my mom doing that to me and my siblings so it's likely something you've passed on to your daughter :)

Cheers,
Bethany

good joo said...

the story of edgar sawtelle

have you not ever read christopher moore? do it. hysterical.

Mary Lynn said...

I also recommend Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Water for Elephants and Eat Pray Love. Additionally, I recommend Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson, Deafening by Frances Itani, The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, Crow Lake by Mary Lawson, and The Glass Castle bye Jeanette Walls. You may have already read some of them....

I've only read one Christopher Moore, but yeah--it was hilarious.