Friday, August 1, 2008

Because I'm Not Sure If We'll Have Enough Food

My week of self-indulgence continues today with the kick-off of my annual Girls' Weekend. Right now, I'm baking a chocolate raspberry cheesecake to contribute to our breakfast menu for Sunday. That's right, breakfast. At Girls' Weekend, there should be chocolate at breakfast. Other items on the menu include bruschetta; crab cakes; grilled turkey sausage skewers with red peppers, pineapple, and pancetta; eggs with goat cheese; and a variety of trail mixes which will be eaten continuously from 8:00 a.m. to midnight daily. Also, we're having a personal chef come to cook us dinner on Saturday night. And did I mention that we're having someone come do pedicures while we drink wine on the porch that overlooks the lake? Yeah, it's going to be really taxing.

I met my parents at the Farmer's Market on Wednesday after class. We were wandering around, buying blueberries and sweet corn, and my mom asked idly what we'd be doing at our girls' weekend.

"Not much," I said. "Mostly just hanging out at the cottage and talking. We are having a personal chef come and cook dinner on Saturday ni-"

"How much does THAT cost?" my mom said.

I stopped and looked at my dad. He looked at the ground. "Can't you just be happy for us?" I said.

"Well." my mom said, "You girls just don't know how lucky you are. You are just soooo lucky."

Lucky, indeed.

No comments: