Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Last Nubbin of Summer

Our summer is truly winding down, like the little nubbins of sidewalk chalk lying sadly on our front steps. I remember stocking up on summer stuff at Target back in April or May - sidewalk chalk, bathing suits, sunscreen, bubbles, popsicles. And now, the chalk is in fragments, the bathing suits are stretched and sandy, the popsicles are gone from the freezer, and I used the very last of our sunscreen at the pool this afternoon (likely the last time we will go this summer). Even though we've been running around, trying to do everything one last time, the routine of summer has, somehow, gotten a little old.

I'm sad about all this, of course. I love summer. But these last few days have been perfect, temperature-wise. It's cool enough to play outside without getting sweaty, sunny enough to make me happy, and chilly enough at night to sleep under the covers with the windows open. I am starting to want fall things: pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks, football games, apples, soup, school projects, the leaves changing their glorious colors. Just now, I hear the high school band practicing down at the field, and it sounds . . . right. Like the sound that heralds my absolute favorite month of the year should sound: plucky, optimistic, full of tradition and a little nostalgia for the simpler things in life.

And next summer, when the girls are one year older, one year more experienced, one year more independent? Next summer is going to be even better.

No comments: