Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Things Can Only Get Better . . .

As it almost HAD to be, today was a better - much better - day. It wasn't without a few sketchy moments, but at least it wasn't a string of one ridiculous moment after another, like the last week has been. I was beginning to think that everyone in our family would be happier if I went back to work and let someone else who was more competent and less emotionally invested deal with the daily battles here. I mean, I expect there to be moments, lots of them, when things aren't going perfectly. But when those moments run together into whole days, and then the bad days add up to nearly a week, you start questioning your choices.

There's a line from the Elton John song "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues" that I try to sing/hum to myself when times are tough: Don't wish it away/Don't look at it like it's forever (and you can bet I sang it on repeat in the middle of the night for the first 3 months of Jemma's life). I think it's a good reminder that these phases and stages, hellish as they might be, are so fleeting, and it's true. Next year at this time, I'll be dealing with a whole new, exciting set of challenges and joys; these last weeks of Annie tantrums will be a distant memory.

In the meantime, we enjoyed our day today, and that's the whole point. Annie was full of stories when I picked her up from school today and I almost wished our ride home was longer so she could tell me more details: Ella brought a birthday treat (cookies with white chocolate - a novelty); they read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," her favorite toy is Mr. Potato Head; she made a book . . . very PLG adorable. We had some more gorgeous weather, some social time with the neighbors this afternoon, and a good dinner together before Jason got home. So fortunate, so blessed to have healthy children and good things all around me.

No comments: