Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Honorary Anniversary

Nope, it's not our wedding anniversary (that was back in June). It is, however, the 11-year anniversary of our very first date. For some reason, as silly as it all is, Jason and I kind of hold a special place in our hearts for September 25th, a.k.a. The Day It All Began.

Well, technically, it all began the previous New Year's Eve (that would be 1995!), when Jason caught my eye at a dirty Treehouse basement party and we made out at midnight on the dance floor. Right before I made out with some other guy . . . and then we mostly ignored each other until the following September, when he came knocking on the door of Gilmore 207 to ask me out. Hilarious.

To put it mildly, times have changed. But on September 25, 1996, we were having burgers and Cokes together (I couldn't even drink at restaurants! I was a baby!) and having an amazingly great first date. Jason was driving his old Civic (yes, there was another, older Civic than the current one) known as "old one-mirror," I wore this giant Abercrombie flannel shirt, and I believe there was a mix-tape involved on the ride home.

Who knew we'd date, get engaged, get married, move to the tiniest, ugliest Ann Arbor apartment, run a marathon, travel to France, buy a house, have a baby, buy another house, have another baby, and build this fun little life together?

Last year, we actually celebrated our 10-year first-date anniversary by going and doing the same things we'd done ten years earlier - same restaurant, same walk afterwards, different clothes. We might even have resurrected the mix-tape. This year, Jason's working late, so we're headed out tomorrow night instead. I can't let the day go by, though, without taking a minute to be glad for all the things that came my way because of that first date.

1 comment:

thomasfamilyseattle said...

Too cute. You know that Annie and Jemma will not ever want to read that their mom made out with ANYONE!! :)