Friday, September 21, 2007

Frosting

For the second time this month, I made some cupcakes. I love to bake, and cupcakes seem like a good treat for all ages. And, for the second time this month, the cupcakes themselves were nothing to write home about, but the frosting . . . . my goodness. Or, as Annie would say, "What the heck in the world?????" (Don't ask.) Tonight, the cupcakes were pumpkin and the frosting was the most scrumptious cream cheese concoction, spiked with a little cinnamon. I'll post the recipe here, courtesy of Williams Sonoma, because I really think that anything pumpkin would benefit from a quick spread of this. Make it, please, and then write me to tell me you loved it, too.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cold cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter, firm but not cold
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, butter, salt and cinnamon on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the confectioner's sugar and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat just until incorporated. Do not overmix or it will incorporate too much air; it should be creamy and dense, like ice cream. Add milk, 1 tsp at a time, if frosting is too hard to spread.

On other pumpkin-related notes, I tried the pumpkin ice cream at Jersey Junction this week, and it is not as good as the Sherman's brand that I used to get in South Haven. (But I'll eat it anyway.) Also, I might have to boycott Starbucks because they won't sell me their Pumpkin Spice syrup so I can use it in my lattes at home. Either that, or I might have to go there every day between now and Thanksgiving, because nothing I squeeze out of my FrancisFrancis tastes quite like the Starbucks PS latte. And lastly, we had a family outing to an adorable, family-run nursery this morning where there's a whole fall kids' thing going on: hayride, inflated pumpkin to jump in, pumpkin painting (with glitter paint! Lucky Annie!), hardy mums galore, popcorn and apples to eat. It was the highlight of Annie's day and a great photo op.

Jason's off being a rock star, so I'm headed downstairs to enjoy 'What Not to Wear' and eat some of the leftover, aforementioned frosting straight out of the fridge. Yummy.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Steph, I am now craving both pumpkin cupcakes and some delicious cream cheese frosting. However, since Lance hates anything with pumpkin or cream cheese, I'll have to wait until I have an event to take them to.

I'm also enjoying What Not To Wear (she looked great after the makeover!). And, you can buy the pumpkin spice syrup on ebay! It comes in huge pump bottles.

Megz said...

Those cupcakes were delish.

And I love me some Williams Sonoma pumpkin bread every fall season...