Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tomorrow: Double-Shot Skim Latte Before Dance Class

Since I have somehow (carelessly) ingested mainly dairy products today, my digestive system is not really settled enough to let me sleep tonight. Instead, I shall recap our day:

Morning: Had breakfast, played outside with a roly-poly and sidewalk chalk, dropped Annie off at gymnastics and went straight to Jemma's 18-month checkup. Her weight? 19 lbs, 5 oz. (less than the 5th percentile, but exactly on the Jemma-curve she's been following since birth). Her height of 31.5 inches put her in the 60th percentile! Is she going to be TALL???? We addressed the ongoing night coughing, which her fancy inhaler hasn't seemed to remedy, and we got ourselves a ticket to go have a chest x-ray and instructions to start on Claritin and see if it's allergy-induced. After waiting around at the hospital and informing no less than three people that I was not pregnant, we got to don our lead aprons. Jemma did well and happily collected her stickers. Then, the two of us headed to the pool for an hour before picking Annie up. Notice there is nothing written here about me drinking my morning coffee. I somehow forgot to make myself coffee this morning (Jason is working early this week and my mornings are all messed up) . . . the consequences of this will be felt later in the day.

Afternoon: After we all ate lunch and took naps (yes, myself included - all that laundry-folding just made me drowsy), we headed to Lucy's for some pool action. As a group, I will say that the children in attendance were not on their best behavior. Not one of them. And as we were walking back home, one of those children was being taken home, crying, as a consequence of bad behavior. Jemma stopped, noticed the stroller coming towards us with the crying child following behind, and started saying, "Uh-oh. Uh-oh!" until they passed. I giggled, in spite of my pounding headache from lack of caffeine.

Evening: We had planned to meet Jason at the pool around 5:00, eat some dinner there, and then let the kids swim for a while before bedtime. So I pulled into the MVP parking lot a little before 5:00: girls in swimsuits (still), sunscreen on, gear in bag for a night at the pool . . . only to watch the lifguards set out the Pool Closed signs because someone had just pooped in the pool. Loaded everyone back into the car, crying, and headed back home to figure out what to make for dinner. As a consolation, we took them to Jersey Junction afterwards and walked around downtown for a little bit before the thunderstorms rolled in. To make up for my lack of morning coffee and try to get rid of my headache, I got coffee ice cream, which only compounded the dairy issue AND injected my body with some caffeine at about 7:00 p.m. - just when I really didn't need it.

And here I am, paying the consequences . . .

No comments: