Monday, July 28, 2008

Life, Pared Down

It's strange with the girls gone - their rooms empty, the house so much quieter. We're using the time, so far, to accomplish two things: spend some quality time together, and re-organize places in the house that aren't working and need some help. Yesterday, the minute the girls left, we sped straight down to the beach in Saugatuck. (After not seeing Lake Michigan all summer, that made three days in a row for me . . . and I am not sick of it yet by any stretch.) We found a quiet spot, plopped down our chairs, and read happily - uninterrupted! - for almost an hour. We walked on the beach a little and splashed in the waves. We ate dinner at one of our old favorite restaurants in Douglas, Everyday People Cafe. We had long, wasteful conversations about Green Day, future vacations, and other people we know. We walked through Saugatuck and picked out a painting that we'd like to buy, someday. It was good.

Today, I had the first of my week-long writing seminars at Hope. So far, it is interesting. We will see how the week progresses, but for now, it's nice to be in a space where I get to play with words and listen to stories instead of change dirty diapers and chase naughty toddlers. The focus is on writing from images and getting all the cerebral "overthinking" out of the way. It's making me slow down. It will hopefully make my writing more spare, more streamlined.

This afternoon, I got a lot done - dropped off 8 (!) rolls of film to be developed, made a Target run, found some nightstands for our bedroom at East Fulton Antiques, cleaned out some kitchen cupboards and drawers, did two loads of laundry, and framed some pictures I want to hang this week. I made a pile of things to be thrown out and another pile to be given away. For his part, Jason mowed the lawn, weed whipped, and cleaned out the garage. Mostly, just trying to get caught up and simplify, simplify, simplify. Now, at the late, late hour of 9:30, we are going to take a small walk around our town. I miss putting the girls to bed but love the freedom to walk out the door this late, unencumbered.

2 comments:

Megz said...

Isn't East Fulton Antiques the greatest store?
Glad you had such a nice time in Saugatuck...love those wasteful conversations. I often feel those are the glue in our marriage, honestly. Strange.
Jealous of the writing class--that sounds delightful in so many ways! Good for you...

Sarah said...

Sounds glorious! Connie and I were lamenting about your week at the gym this morning. You are one lucky B...enjoy, pal!