Tuesday, July 22, 2008

System Overload

Jemma does this thing sometimes (and by sometimes, I mean a few times a day) when she instantly becomes so thirsty that she needs water immediately. "Muh," she suddenly says. "Muh muh muh muh muh muh muh," one syllable per second, at least, as though a wire has been tripped and water is required to reset her. It is usually just when we are toppling back into the house from somewhere, me with my hands full, Annie running to pee, the phone ringing. Today, it started happening when I was in the kitchen, trying to make dinner, on the phone with a friend, and Annie at my heels insisting, "Mom! I saw a cardinal. A cardinal!!! Mom. Moooooom." In the background: "Muh muh muh muh muh." And then my cell phone rang, and the CD on the stereo started skipping, and it is a small miracle that everyone got fed, cleaned, and put to bed before I lost my mind.

I think this is one of the harder things for me about being a stay-at-home parent of small children. I just don't really like noise. In high school and college, I required total silence to study, do homework, read, and write papers. (I am always a little amazed - and suspicious - of people who can learn things with loud music on.) I hardly ever turn on the TV during the day and prefer to listen to music when I can really listen to it, not when it is just one more layer of background noise. Living in such close proximity to neighbors, some of whom own several loud items with which to tend their immaculate lawns, is frustrating to me, even though I know that it's to be expected, living in a city. Noise - especially repetitive, annoying noise - makes it hard for me to THINK, hard to function at the top of my game. I forget things. I lose things. I lose my patience, my train of thought, my motivation.

These days, I try to embrace the messy, noisy world that is raising children. I expect lots of questions, nonsense singing, shout-outs to each and every "digger!" that we pass on the road. At night, before bed, I try to spend some time by myself, either outside running or upstairs writing and reading. It's my way to "reset" myself for another noisy day. And in the meantime, I am trying very, very hard to teach Jemma how to ask for "Water, please."

5 comments:

Gina said...

I'm also a big fan of silence. Lance can't understand how I can drive around without the radio on and must have complete silence to accomplish any task. Quiet is just a wonderful thing.

Heather said...

Annoying as it may be, give Jemma the Muh ASAP! I happen to share this little wiring shortage with her. It makes Mike completely crazy, especially on a car trip while he is practicing his best Nazi Dad "gas stops only" driving. At any rate, it's quite a desperate feeling, and only cold water will suffice. Now I just stash a water bottle with me most everywhere to combat the issue.
I know what's happening right now - you're secretly panicked that if your daughter shares one of my weird tics, perhaps there could be others! I wonder about her cleaning habits and timeliness?!? We'll see!
At least I also enjoy quiet - in the morning with my coffee. But after that I love some good background music and whatever else comes with it. It's like color for my ears.

Sarah said...

I love the thought of the wire out and needing it to reset a thirsty Jemma. Great description. ha ha...

Anonymous said...

perhaps you would like to hang out at our house while eric is studying or "doing work". many ipods and computer things going on, an occasional strum of the guitar, animals romping around, 3 year olds shouting things that sound like "slut". how he accomplishes anything i will never know. i can't even read one sentence of a book unless the whole frickin' house is asleep or gone...far away. like to one of the 15 DMB concerts scheduled before the birth.

Megz said...

Oh my gosh...I'm dying.
Partly because I relate (shout outs to diggers, you say? not in our car!)...but also just because your writing is often just so damn funny.

I was reading recently that a common childhood sign of ADD (in babies and toddlers) is the inability to stay focused on a task when ANY kind of noise occurs around them...even an adult's voice.

Sadly, my children are fully able to tune me out.
It's me that seems to have developed a hopeless case of attention deficit.