Sunday, October 26, 2008

On the Way Home From the Pool: A Conversation

Annie: I'm cooold, Mom!

Me: Yeah, I bet. It's too bad you didn't want to wear a coat.

Annie: Mom! You wouldn't LET me wear a coat! (total lie)

Jemma: humming merrily

Annie: No, Jemma. You can't sing that. Only big girls can sing that.

Jemma: humming merrily

Annie: Jemma, only I can sing that.

Me: Annie, that's not true. Anyone may sing nicely in the car.

Annie: Jemma, stop singing! Please!

Me: Hey! Who wants to eat lunch when we get home?

Jemma: I do! I do!

Annie: I want to have peanut butter and jelly.

Me: Okay.

Annie: Mom, I SAID, I want to have peanut butter and jelly.

Me. Yep, I said you could.

Annie: When I get home, I'm going to put on my wedding dress and play wedding. I'll be the bride. Jemma, do you want to be the groom?

Jemma: No.

Annie: Jemma, do you want to hold my hand and walk down the aisle?

Jemma: No.

Annie: Jemma, you HAVE to play that with me! (Starts humming Trumpet Voluntaire) Mom, I want to have peanut butter and jelly when we get home, okay?

Jemma: starts humming

Annie: Jemma, NO! Only I can hum that! (Kicks off rain boots, takes off socks in a fury)

Jemma: kicks off rain boots, takes off socks in a fury

Annie: Mom, I'm cooooold!

No comments: