Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day 2008


You know those pictures from when you were little, when your dad, with his 70's sideburns, is holding you on the lawnmower or carrying you on his shoulders? And you know how it takes your breath away - he looks so young! It hit me the other day: that's what our girls are going to think, looking through photo albums, about 2008 - and, really, the few years before and after, too. In fact, they might not have any memories at all of this particular summer; I know I don't remember much of anything before preschool when I was four. So I want to tell them that, yes, I guess he is still "young," and full of energy to ride bikes, play lion, and give chase at a moment's notice. He's patient, too, and so kind, generous, and compassionate that it's almost unreal. You girls, you don't know now, but you will: there are so few people with whom your daddy doesn't get along, you could list them on one hand. Everyone loves him (including me) and you are so, so blessed and lucky to have someone this happy doing his best, day in and day out, to raise you and teach you about life. This morning, we all hung out in our bed with coffee, Father's Day cards, and presents - taking a few moments to just BE as a family. I'm so glad to be doing this parenting gig with such an excellent father.

No comments: