Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Half Empty, Half Full

Half Empty:

1. The average December snowfall in Grand Rapids is 18 inches. As of two days ago, we'd received 38, and it's snowing steadily outside my window right now. Even worse, the ridiculously low temperatures that accompany it have ended our previously fun afternoons playing outside in it. Today I actually let the car idle in the driveway with the girls strapped in when we got home from the gym so I could shovel the front steps while they watched.

2. Not only has Annie completely stopped napping (except, you know, once every two or three weeks on a day that we specifically wouldn't want her to do it), but she has also begun waking up at 6:00 a.m. sharp!

3. I was (unfortunately) at the mall yesterday (getting the last-minute things I had meant to get the previous Friday morning but couldn't - see item #1 - ) and I noticed that J. Crew had approximately one winter item in their store. The rest of the floor space already seems to be reserved for New Spring Lines and Fancy Cruise Wear.

4. We have been far, far exceeding our Daily TV Quota.

5. I went upstairs for two minutes this afternoon and came back downstairs to find Jemma naked from the waist down. Is she going to be That Kid?

6. Annie asked repeatedly today if Santa is going to bring her "lots and lots and lots of presents." And the answer is not what she's hoping it is.

Half Full:

1. It sure is Christmassy out there! And I'm sure that because it's snowing three times the usual amount in December, it's just not going to snow AT ALL in February or March or April.

2. There is so much time to accomplish grown-up things when you put your four-year-old to bed at 6:30 p.m.!

3. At least I will be able to find plenty of cute items for our February trip to Florida.

4. We have discovered a hilarious - yet educational! - new show called Sid the Science Kid on PBS. Annie is super into it; every day there is a different little lesson with the hip Latina teacher about something science-related (today's was why/how things grow). She pays attention to every detail, asks tons of questions, and wants to try things out (like measuring with a ruler) after the show is over. I love it because it lets me clean up lunch and accomplish a few things from 12:30 - 1:00. I also secretly love the songs Sid sings upon arriving at school every day. One is a little rap about his mom, the other is a dance number called "I'm Lookin' For My Friends." Seriously, check it out.

5. Maybe she'll love the idea of potty-training (in six months when I actually want to do it) and won't fight me about it like someone else I can think of . . . . .

6. Annie will learn at an early age to embrace the concept of Quality over Quantity after receiving three perfectly-chosen gifts from Santa.Two days till Christmas!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Berit is currently betrothed to Sid the Science Kid. She doesn't quite understand it yet, but longs to go to his school.

good joo said...

ohhhhh...ava loves sid the science kid. glad annie discovered it. have a merry fa la la...

Stephanie said...

Oh, good, then: Is Sid's friend Gerald supposed to be

1. ADHD?
2. 'Marching to the beat of his own drummer' in a fun, quirky way?
3. Mainstreamed from the special ed. class down the hall?

I have spent far too much time trying to figure this out.