Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sophisticated Taste

I am trying to plan Annie's birthday, since it's just over a week away. On the actual day, we're going go be driving up north for a family wedding weekend (see my previous post to see just how excited I am about this). And when we gave her the choice between having a big party with all her friends or going to Chicago for a day with just mommy and daddy, she chose the second option (and I breathed a big sign of relief because, Yeah! Chicago! And no giant party to plan!). So, we'll mostly be celebrating her for a week or so, spread out in smaller celebrations with different groups of people. On Sunday, we're having my parents, brother, and his girlfriend over for dinner, so I asked Annie what kind of cake she wants.

"Caramel."

"Caramel? The cake? Or the frosting?"

"Both."

"Ooookaaay. And just in case, what's your second choice?"

So I've been on epicurious and food network and google and all manner of sites tonight, looking up recipes for caramel cake. I am leaning toward one from the January issue of Gourmet, but I'm also wondering if any of my foodie readers have ever attempted one that they recommend.

Chicago, caramel cake, and wanting "a wedding dress and a veil" or "fancy shoes" for her birthday: Jason and I had better start saving for what is sure to be a very elegant (and very expensive) wedding someday.

No comments: