Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Food, Beverage, and Books

These are a few of my favorite things . . . hum it . . . you know you want to . . .

Food: I just ate a hot-dog for dinner, and my tummy's not happy. As a rule, I don't eat hot dogs. But tonight, the first of many "Wednesday Widows" dinners (where anyone whose husband is working late/out of town/sailing/other nonsense gathers with kids for some type of group dinner at a various house on the street), it was all I could mange because of the Jemma attached to my shoulder. Crying. Wants down. Crying. Wants up. Crying. Wants to frolic on the giant concrete steps in Shannon's backyard. Crying. Snot pouring out of nose. I think she has what I have, which is a wicked bout of allergies out of nowhere. I blow my nose until it is red and raw; she coughs snot up and lets it run down her face.

Sorry . . back to talking about food. So I ate a hot dog. And now, because it's been one of those days with my youngest whiner, I am eating Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch right out of the container. As I type. Yum.

Beverage: And as soon as I head downstairs, I'll be finishing off a bottle of lovely red wine I've newly discovered (thanks, Josh.) Shafer knock-off Cabernet at $20 per bottle versus the $80 my beloved Shafer now costs. Woe . . .

I'll also mention here (happy, Meg?) that last weekend was good in another way: Grapefruit Vodka Tonics. Here's what you do: Fill a cup with ice. Two fingers of Absolut Ruby Red. Tonic water to the top. Garnish with one, pure grapefruit segment. No pith. It is lovely (and thanks, Connie. Look - all my good beverage ideas are coming from the Kooistras!)

Books: I am reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. I should say TRYING to read. I'll read a section and come across a sentence where I'm nodding my head, feeling I've been granted the secret wisdom of living in the moment and relinquishing all stress. Here's an example, pg. 41:

"One thing we do know: Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at this moment."

Good, right? I'm someone who needs reminders about living in the moment and accepting situations as they come, even when things are not going as planned. And then I'll come across a section like this:

"The pain-body is a semiautonomous energy-form that lives within most human beings, an entity made up of emotion. It has its own primitive intelligence, not unlike a cunning animal, and its intelligence is directed primarily at survival. Like all life-forms, it periodically needs to feed - to take in new energy - and the food it requires to replenish itself consists of energy that is compatible with its own, which is to say, energy that vibrates at a similar frequency."

Huh?

So, I'm trying to appreciate the helpful concepts and just let the confusing ones be. So far, it's a lot of new-agey psychology with some interesting insight thrown in. I'd be interested to see what someone else thinks. Anyone?

Lastly, still on the topic of books (sort of), here's what Annie busts out with as we're driving down the Beltine today after our hour-and-a-half Snippets haircut ordeal:

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you anyway."

Brownie points to the first person who can tell me what book that's from. (Or maybe grapefruit vodka points . . .)

2 comments:

Megz said...

I don't know what book that's from, but I'm grabbing my keys as I type to head over for some of that 20 dolla wine...

I hear you on the Ekhart Tolle...I haven't been too disciplined with it lately, mostly because I know it requires much more of my alert, brainy attention than my US magazine.
So wrong.
But I intend on getting caught up this weekend, so let's chat soon after. :)
Sorry you were a widow tonight. Hate that...just hate it. But I find wine always helps me fall asleep in those circumstances (I can hear your commentary here, Mr. Bergsma), so you're on the right path.

Gina said...

Olivia! Grapefruit vodka tonic, please! Good work quoting, Annie. I can see the quotey-quotes in your college dorm room already.

I'm thinking I'll forgo Eckhart Tolle for now. Though I should probably be pondering my life in some philosophical manner, I think I'll opt for a summer beach read (or at least something I can comprehend)!