Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Little Too Ambitious . . .

I continue to embrace my return to the gym - maybe a little too wholeheartedly. This morning, I was up to feed Jemma at 5:30. I got back into bed, and Jason immediately started kicking his feet around in his sleep. This is the sort of thing that completely prevents me from getting back to sleep unless it stops in about 3 seconds.

"Hey - Jason! What are you doing?" I whispered, maybe a little forcefully.

"The dogs are chasing me and getting my toes" he mumbled sleepily, and I decided the chances of me getting back to sleep while he was romping around the bed were very small. So, I got up, tracked down some semi-clean workout clothes in the dark of our closet laundry basket, and gathered my things for the gym.

It was freezing (16 degrees), it was totally dark, and so I was feeling quite proud of myself when I pulled into the parking lot at 6:25 a.m. . . . . to find the gym closed. Turns out, it doesn't open until 7:00 on Saturdays. Maybe I would know this if I hadn't been MIA from the gym since April. Anyway, I made a quick trip to the grocery store (which, thankfully, was open at the crack of dawn), and then returned to the gym for an early-morning run.

The rest of the day was kind of a blur - made some soup, went to the Farmer's Market to get some windowbox greenery, had Jer and Beth over to see the girls, and then . . . the Doublesteins returned to the gym. After naps, we brought the girls to swim in the pool, and it was a blast. Except for splashing a little in the outdoor pool this summer, which she hated, Jemma hadn't ever really been immersed in a pool before. She loved it! She divided her time between saying "ba" and watching some older kids play water volleyball, and making interesting quacking noises at the floating rubber ducks.

Now, the girls are in bed, it's doing some horrible sleeting thing outside, and I'm headed downstairs to paint my toenails (trip to the pool pointed out just how overdue I am for that!) and drink some hot chocolate with Jason while we watch some mindless TV. I'm sort of hoping that tomorrow becomes a trapped-in-the-house snow day and we can make forts and eat comfort food and skip our commitments (Sunday School, family Christmas party in Holland).

1 comment:

Gina said...

Pretty ambitious, Steph. I'm relatively certain it hasn't been 16 degrees in NC since we moved here. But I am 100% certain that when it's 16 degrees and I'm living in Michigan, I surely won't be getting out of bed even if Lance is kicking his feet. I'll curl up with a book and the covers and be as lazy as possible. We spent our 60 degree day at the park. I figured I must get as much of that in as possible!