Saturday, December 15, 2007

Having My Sanity Back: Priceless

In two or three hours, Jason will be back home again with the girls. What, you ask, have I done with all my freedom? Here's a partial list:

-read Parents magazine
-took a long, hot bath
-listened to Christmas music
-talked on the phone to several friends without having to bribe Annie to be quiet
-had lunch with Connie at Marie Catrib's and went shopping afterwards
-ate approximately 14-15 cookies
-ran this morning at the gym (to counteract all those cookies . . .)
-cleaned both bathrooms
-organized the linen closet
-wrapped all the Christmas presents
-watched "What Not To Wear"
-watched TiVo'd 30 Rock with the Cavanaughs
-finished shopping for Jemma's birthday
-planned the menus for all upcoming holiday events
-shopped at Costco and Target for upcoming holiday food items
-organized Jemma's closet
-did some laundry
-watched Food Network TV
-got yummy spinach salad and a pizza from Rose's Express and ate it in peace on my couch

and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Have I missed the girls and Jason? Honestly, I've been too busy to miss them. Every once in a while, I'll think of them in a passing, amused sort of way, wish them well, and then go back to enjoying whatever I'm doing.

I've known for a long time that I'm the type of person who doesn't function well in constant chaos. I don't like feeling disorganized, I can't think well with constant noise (read: children) around me, and I get frazzled and do things like lose Kohl's gift cards and drive away from preschool without buckling Annie into her carseat. These two days have been such a gift, because I feel like I'm ready to head into the busiest time of year with my batteries recharged and my Christmas spirit intact. I can't wait to cook fancy things for various dinner events, watch the girls open their presents, and spend time with family and far-flung friends.

Jason and I bought a few big-ticket items this past year in our efforts to move our life from starving-college-students to grown-ups-with-kids, so we decided to just stuff each other's stockings with little things and save some money instead of buying gifts. But seriously, this weekend of being selfish with my time and alone with my thoughts, has been a pretty great Christmas present. Priceless, in fact . . .

1 comment:

Megz said...

Loved this post!
Congrats on all of the "you time", my friend. You deserved it!
The part about you not being someone who operates well in chaos really resonated with me. I feel the exact same way, and for some reason my inability to deal has kicked into high gear the past few weeks. I've been tossin out the "walk a day in my shoes, buddy!" comment at Brian one too many times. Oy!